08/06/2020 by foodstoriestravel 0 Comments
Asparagus with Mayonnaise
By Signora Marca.
This recipe is the result of one vivid memory of Cristiano’s childhood neighbor, "Signora Marca" (Mrs Marca), who used to make mayonnaise from scratch and pair it with vegetables such as asparagus or insalata russa.
Enjoy with a typical Piedmontese dish on tour with us in Piedmont, or try making it at home!
Cheerful warning: This recipe can be hit or miss and is, so often, that the Italians have an expression La maionese impazzisce ("The mayonnaise goes crazy") for when the egg and oil refuse to bind.
Ingredients for homemade mayonnaise for 4 people:
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- EVOO enough to make it! (see below)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp of lemon juice or adjust to taste
- Separate egg yolks from whites (you can use the whites for something else such as merengue, a cake, or a frittata)
- Gently stir the egg yolks with a spoon in the same direction, while slowly pouring EVOO
- When the eggs start to bind, add a pinch of salt, and keep stirring until the mixture becomes thick
- Add a small amount of lemon juice and keep adding EVOO, which emulsifies and expands the mixture, until reaching the desired quantity
- Adjust to taste with salt, lemon, and pepper
Ingredients for asparagus for 4 people:
- 1 pound asparagus
- Trim the tough bottoms off the asparagus stalks (to conserve, we add these lower bits to soup)
- Boil the asparagus standing up, so only the stalk ends are submerged (to ensure even cooking with the delicate tips being steamed from below)
- When done, set aside to cool
- Serve asparagus with mayonnaise as a dipping sauce