07/13/2017 by Cristiano Bonino 0 Comments
By nonna Ottilia from Agriturismo Anselmi in Terzolas, Trentino.
You might enjoy this recipe on our tours in Trentino & Sud Tyrolor try at home using just a few ingredients!
Ingredients for 6 people:
- 4 eggs
- 250 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) of sugar – I prefer to use only 175 grams (2/3 cup)
- 250 grams (1/2 pound) of grated carrots
- 1 lemon
- 250 grams (2 cups) of ground almonds
- 8 grams (1 tsp) of baking powder
- 10 ladyfinger cookies
- a pinch of salt
- Separate egg whites from yolks. Whip egg whites with a pinch of salt until it becomes frothy
- Separately beat egg yolks with sugar until it gets smooth and fluffy
- In another bowl mix grated carrots with lemon zest (simply grating the skin of the lemon avoiding the pith), then add ground almonds and baking powder
- Add the carrots and almond concoction to the beaten eggs and sugar
- Then fold very gently the egg whites into the mixture, trying to keep it fluffy and soft
- Finally crush the ladyfingers (nonna Ottilia used a rag containing the cookies and rolled a glass bottle back and forth to crush them!) and add them to the mixture
- Pour the batter in a ~10-inch pan and make a layer not higher than 1 inch
- Bake for about ~30 minutes at 360 F.
Cool, slice, and buon appetito (in the picture 3 generations of cooks in the family with nonna Ottilia, daughter Annamaria, granddaughter Chiara and the other nonna Carla)