02/07/2017 by Cristiano Bonino 0 Comments
Castagnaccio (Chestnut Cake)
by Nonna Paola from Agriturismo il Molinello in Tuscany
You might enjoy this recipe on our tours in Italy or try at home using just a few ingredients. Paola made this recipe without precise quantites but based on her experience!
Ingredients for 6 people:
- 330 ml (1 and 1/3 cups) of water
- 250 grams (2 and 1/3 cups) of chestnut flour (we used the one made by the oldest mill of Tuscany in Loro Ciuffenna)
- Handful of pinenuts (~ ¼ cup)
- Handful of raisins (~ ¼ cup)
- Handful of chopped walnuts (~ ¼ cup)
- Fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 Tbsp EVOO
- a pinch of salt
- Into the flour, mix water little by little, carefully monitoring consistency. You are looking for a smooth batter (not too liquid, not too dry)
- Once achieved, add a pinch of salt
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking tray. Put a small amount of EVOO on the parchment paper (very thin layer) to help avoid sticking
- Spread your batter evently on the tray to reach a depth of approx. 1/4 of an inch (we used a 10-inch tray)
- Decorate with rosemary leaves (fresh rosemary from Il Molinello is best of course), pinenuts, chopped walnuts and raisins
- Sling fresh EVOO over the top
- Bake for about 40 minutes at 360 F.
Cool, slice, and buon appetito!
ps for best results Paola suggests to press the toppings a bit into the dough