11/10/2015 by Cristiano Bonino 0 Comments
Farfalle with Broccoli (Bowties with Broccoli)
By Cristiano Bonino.
Cristiano Bonino can’t remember a specific person who gave him this recipe, which is the result of conversations with different housewives, sommeliers, chefs and food lovers all over Italy!
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 454 gr (1 lb) short pasta such as farfalle, tortiglioni or shells (we recommend a brand that notes "pasta di gragnano" – or the method of extruding with bronze dies and slowly drying… the superior texture and sauce pairing!)
- 1 gallon water
- 1.5 Tbsp salt
- 4 broccoli (Brussels sprouts or cauliflower work well too)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- Clean the broccoli and separate tops (or florets) from stems
- Boil stems in water and salt. When done, drain (saving the water!) and then drop the tops in the same water
- Cook the tops for a few minutes until they are still slightly crunchy and drain them, again saving the water
- Peel and sauté the garlic (finely minced or whole, your choice) in 2 Tsp EVOO until light brown
- Then add the tops and half the stems. Cook for 5 minutes, adding water from the pot, as needed
- In a blender or food processor, blend the remaining stems and add this puree to the sauce
- Take the water you have been saving and bring it to a boil
- Add the pasta (The water should taste slightly salty. If not, add salt)
- Cook the pasta for one minute less than is suggested on the package
- Taste the pasta before draining it to confirm "al dente."
- Sauté the drained pasta with the sauce for a minute, and add the remaining EVOO