03/24/2016 by Cristiano Bonino 0 Comments
Penne alla Norma
By Carmelo Conigliaro from Agriturismo Case Damma, Siracusa.
You might enjoy this recipe on our tours in Sicily!
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 454 gr (1 lb) short pasta such as penne or rigatoni (we recommend a brand that notes "pasta di gragnano" – or the method of extruding with bronze dies and slowly drying… the superior texture and sauce pairing!)
- 1 gallon water
- 1.5 Tbsp salt
- 1 eggpplant
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp EVOO
- 1 sprig of fresh basil
- 1 (16-ounce) can of diced tomatoes (or even better with fresh tomatoes)
- 100gr (1/4 lb) of ricotta salata (pressed, salted and aged ricotta cheese)
- Wash and cut the eggplants into cubes. Then sprinkle with salt and let it rest for half an hour to draw out the excess water
- Peel and sautée the garlic (finely minced or whole, your choice) in a pan with 2 Tbsp EVOO until light brown
- Then add the canned or fresh tomatoes and cook for at least 30 mins to reduce it to a smooth sauce. Then adjust with salt
- In a frying pan add 1/3 cup of oil and cook the eggplants until browned and soft. Then remove into a plate with absorbent paper to remove excess oil
- Bring water to a boil and add salt (the water should taste slightly salty. If not, add salt)
- Cook the pasta for 1 minute less than is suggested on the package. Taste the pasta before draining it to confirm "al dente."
- Sauté the drained pasta, tomato sauce and the cooked eggplants to let all the ingredients combine smoothly
- Serve in individual plates topped off with basil leaves and grated ricotta salata