11/19/2019 by foodstoriestravel 0 Comments
Spaghetti alle Briciole (Bread Crumbs)
Inspired by Osteria Antico Travaglio in Monteriggioni, Tuscany.
You might enjoy this recipe in our tours in Tuscany or feel free to try at home! We enjoyed a version of this simple recipe in a traditional Osteria in Monteriggioni and fell in love with it.
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 454 gr (1 lb) spaghetti or linguine (we recommend a brand that notes "pasta di gragnano" – or the method of extruding with bronze dies and slowly drying… for a superior texture and sauce pairing!) or pici (the hand-made solid spaghetti typical of Tuscany)
- 1 gallon water
- 1.5 Tbsp salt
- 2 slices dried bread
- 4 garlic cloves
- 8 Tbsp EVOO (or more if needed)
- 1 fresh chili pepper (or 1/8 tsp dried and crushed)
- Put dried bread (if using fresh, just toast it first for a few minutes) in a food processor and coarsely grind it to make bread crumbs
- Peel and crush the garlic and cook it in a pan over medium flame with 6 Tbsp of EVOO until light brown
- Remove the garlic, then add chili pepper and stir to combine
- Add the bread crumbs until golden and crunchy. Then set aside
- Bring water to a boil adding salt (the water should taste slightly salty. If not, add salt)
- Cook the pasta for 1 minute less than is suggested on the package. Taste the pasta before draining it to confirm "al dente"
- Sauté the drained pasta with 3/4 of the bread crumbs sauce and add 2 Tbsp of EVOO (or more if needed), to let all the ingredients combine smoothly
- Serve in individual plates with some of the remaining bread crumbs on top