02/29/2016 by Cristiano Bonino 0 Comments
Torta Verde (Green Savory Pie)
By Diliana at the winery Erede di Chiappone Armando.
This recipe comes from Diliana’s mother in law and she usually prepares it for us during our wine tasting and visit to the Winery Erede di Chiappone Armando near Nizza Monferrato.
Diliana runs the winery with Franco, Michela and Daniele, her wonderful family. You might enjoy this recipe on our tours in Piedmont!
Ingredients for 6 people:
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 Tbsp of EVOO
- 500gr (1.1 pound) boiled and squeezed spinach
- 225gr (1/2 pound) rice
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 4 eggs
- 4 Tbsp Parmigiano Reggiano
- Butter (or EVOO) to grease the pan
- 4 Tbsp breadcrumbs
- salt to taste
- Over medium heat, brown the chopped onions in a pan with EVOO
- Boil enough spinach to get at least a "squeezed weight" of 500gr (1.1 pounds)
- To the onions, add the spinach, rice and broth, and then cook for 10 mins to keep it "al dente"
- If you need more broth just add enough to make sure rice does not get stuck in the pan
- Beat the eggs and mix them together with 2 Tbsp of Parmigiano Reggiano
- Add the eggs and Parmigiano mixture to the rice and spinach
- Adjust with salt and/or more Parmigiano to your taste
- Grease a 1-2 inch-high baking pan with butter or EVOO, then sprinkle it with 2 Tbsp of breadcrumbs
- Pour the mixture into the pan and top it off with the remaining Parmigiano Reggiano and breadcrumbs
- Cook in the oven for 25 mins at 360F
You can prepare this dish in advance and serve it at room temperature or pop in the oven for 5 minutes for a quick warm up. Buon appetito!